Monday, October 31, 2011

Monday, Monday

The first day of the week has a bad rap, and for many years, I was right in there with all the Monday-phobes. For a while, Mondays were so disheartening that I began to dislike Sunday night too. And then, towards the beginning-of-the-end of my "professional" career, I didn't like Sunday at all, that's how much I was not looking forward to Monday.

During two lengthy sabbatical leaves from work, my feelings toward the maligned Monday started to change. Mondays were good because everyone else had to go to work, and I could get the stuff done that I didn't want to waste my weekends on! And when I finally permanently "quit my day job," and moved up to the vineyard to live and farm full time, Monday took on a whole new and wonderful rhythm.

Who knew, when I said I Do, that I would eventually come around to love Mondays?
  • On Monday, the newspaper (I read two every day) is thin, so I can read them cover-to-cover by about 8 am.
  • The crossword puzzle, which I love to do every day, is easiest on Monday. After the challenging Sunday NYTimes version, I love feeling super-smart on Monday!
  • I love that tourists love my home area in Wine Country, but I am hesitant to take long bike rides with all the weekend wine tasters (drinkers?) out on the road. Monday is blissfully calm for cyclists.
  • The new work week has a positive connotation for me. I look forward to the week of vineyard work ahead and also documenting and crossing tasks off the list.
I think I'm making up now for the lost time... 1/7 of my working lifespan was kind of wasted, not even counting the lost hours of Sunday appreciation. I now practice the enlightening sports of "being present," living in the "Now," and non-resistance to "what is." And it's working! I'm happy, feel free, and yes, I love Mondays! Who knew?

2 comments:

  1. The 1/7 of your working lifespan wasn't wasted, mon ami! If they didn't exist, you wouldn't be appreciating the 'now' as much ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because I'm a wine drinker, the cycling thing really made me chuckle. We are trying to plan an early May trip to Nappa Valley with another couple. I was wondering who would drive us from place to place while tasting. I guess the answer is "us"- the locals are prepared:)I'm joking- I think!

    Kasse D.

    ReplyDelete